Call directly: 1-416-388-3964

One Yorkdale Road, Toronto View Location

Frequently Asked Questions

What can I expect at my first therapy appointment?

Your safety and confidence is primary. Most first appointments are one hour. I will introduce myself to you, and provide you with an overview of my experience and credentials. You will be asked to review and sign a Consent to Services Agreement which should answer most of the questions you may have about the process.

You can expect discussion about your presenting problem or concern, and the gathering of relevant historical and medical information.


What fees and method of payments for services are available?

Fees are based on a one hour session including time to reschedule a follow-up appointment and arrange payment.

General Therapy:
For therapy clients who need individual, couple or family counselling, the fees are set and agreed upon at the initial interview and paid for by the client at the end of each session.  Payment is accepted by cash, cheque, email transfer or PayPal.

Although OHIP does not cover psychological services, most extended health benefits programs do. In this case the session is conducted under the supervision of a registered psychological and client submits the receipt to their insurance carrier and is reimbursed.

Motor Vehicle Accident (MVA):
If you were psychologically injured as a result of a motor vehicle accident then your treatment will be under the supervision of a registered psychologist and, if approved, will be covered and paid directly by your auto insurance carrier.

Workers Safety Insurance Board (WSIB):
If you were psychologically injured as a result of a work place injury then, if approved, treatment will be provided under the supervision of a registered psychologist and your fees will be covered and paid directly by the WSIB.

Short and Long Term Disability:
If you are unable to perform your work duties due to a psychological condition and are eligible for short or long term disability, then your disability insurance carrier may cover your therapy sessions.  In this case, treatment will be provided under the supervision of a registered psychologist. Unfortunately, many companies will expect the client to pay for the therapy sessions out of their own pocket.

Will my extended health benefits cover your services?

Services are covered by most extended insurance plans (e.g., Manulife Financial etc.) and psychotherapy is provided under the supervision of a registered psychologist in this case.    Joanne L. Pilon is registered as a treatment professional with the Employee Assistance Plan (EAP), Homewood Human Health Solutions.

Psychological services are not covered by OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan).

Extended health plans can differ. Please check your insurance plan regarding coverage and claim procedures.

Is counselling for one person only or can my whole family come in together?

I provide individual, couple and family therapy. Often when one member of a family has a problem, everyone is affected. Wherever possible we encourage the family to meet together and help develop solutions and strategies that will work for them.

Do I need a referral from a doctor?

Services do not require a referral from a doctor. However, a referral for service may be required by your insurance carrier. Various plans differ so please check with your coverage provider regarding claim procedures prior to your first appointment. If a referral is needed by your doctor, it need only state, “I refer _________ for psychological consultation or assessment”.


What is the difference between a psychiatrist, psychologist and a psychotherapist?

Psychiatrist: A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who specializes in mental health issues.  Psychiatrists are able to diagnose and prescribe medications.  Some psychiatrists also provide counselling/psychotherapy.  A psychiatrist is covered by OHIP.
Psychologist: A psychologist has a Ph.D. in psychology and is registered with the College of Psychologists of Ontario.  A psychologist is able to diagnose mental health issues and provide assessments and counselling/psychotherapy.

Psychotherapist: A psychotherapist most often has a Master’s degree or a Master’s of Arts degree in Education or psychology and is registered with a psychotherapy association such as the Ontario Association of Consultants, Counsellors, Psychometrists and Psychotherapists. A psychotherapist is able to provide assessments and counselling/psychotherapy.